Cherries are a tasty fruit that nearly everyone loves, but the cherry pit is extremely poisonous.
Cherries are able to be eaten whether baked, cooked or raw, but the ingesting any portion of the pit can lead to danger.
The pit, like almonds and apple seeds, contains cyanide.
Whenever a cherry pit is chewed, crushed or damaged, hydrogen cyanide is released.
Symptoms of mild poisoning from hydrogen cyanide include: dizziness, headaches, anxiety, nausea and vomiting.
Ingesting a large dose of the toxin can lead to breathing difficulties, an increase in blood pressure, increased heart rate, and kidney failure.
Severe reactions can lead to convulsions, coma, and respiratory failure causing death.
5 of 9